Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Heroes And Villains, Concluded

A poem never actually ends; eventually the poet abandons it. Likewise, I am abandoning the Heroes And Villains. This could go on forever::::::::::::I have left out so many heroes--Marianne Moore, Frank O'Hara, Ken Kesey, Marilyn Robinson, Orson Welles, Edmund Wilson, James Wright, T.S. Eliot, directors, actors, painters, poets, Robert Lowell (although I did include his two students Plath and Sexton), Gandhi, The Buddha, even some members of the Beatles and Grateful Dead. Miles, Sarah Vaughn, Clifford Brown, and Herbie Hancock, are missing, as is Mingus, Duke, Ella, Charles Lloyd, Branford Marsalis, Chet Baker, Bill Evans, Elvin Jones, all comedians, Lord Buckley, Jean Shepherd, and untold numbers of villains and despots. I missed Neil Young, and Brian Wilson, Buddy Holly, Bird, Nat King Cole, McCoy Tyner, The Kinks, Weezer, Bruce Springsteen, Phillip Glass, Wagner, Bartok, Bernstein, Bach, Mozart, Charles Ives, Simon and Garfunkel, Sly and the Family Stone, Stevie Wonder, Talking Heads, and The Ramones, among others. I left out most novelists and dramatists, except Shakespeare. Melville, Twain, Homer, both Fieldings, Proust, Joyce, Conrad, Wharton, and Austen are all missing. I missed dozens of painters I love like Rembrandt, Mark Ryden, Bruegel, Motherwell, Keith Haring, Basquait, Miro, Klee, Frieda Kahlo, Picasso, Borofsky, Lichtenstein, Michelangelo, the Dutch Masters, the Flemish painters, the New York School, and on and on. I missed the Beats entirely. I missed many rock, bluegrass, blues, jazz and blues bands. I missed all 18th and 19th century poets and novelists. Where was Big Star, The Byrds, The Posies, (did I do Zappa?), Nirvana, The Sonics, Paul Revere, Old And In The Way, Johnny Cash, Bob Wills, and Hank Williams? How could I miss my great heroes Dolly Parton and Bob Dylan?

I struggled to find enough women villains. Sometimes I would research female villains and find they weren't villains after all.

I always have a bit of a struggle between writing and art. I am going to attempt to go back to the old format of All This Is That, where I actually do some writing, with some art every day or so...I must admit, 'though, I am already tempted to start work on a different series of digital art. We'll see what happens! For now, I want to get back to My Worst Jobs, the stories about Mel, my childhood, and Fifteen Years Of Vacationing With The Hokits.

Here is the complete list of Heroes And Villains. The series is woefully incomplete, but probably an OK start. You can find these digital paintings here, and in the All This Is That Archives (just over there, on your right...). /jack


No. 1--> Adolph Hitler & Lyndon Johnson
No. 2--> Bishop Tutu & Il Duce
No. 3--> Jack Kennedy & Torquemada, Or, Two Catholic Boys
No. 4-->Jeffrey Dahmer & Daniel Boone
No. 5--> John Wilkes Booth & Emily Dickinson
No. 6--> Jerry Garcia & Tokyo Rose
No. 7---> Two Bald Guys--> Hideki Tojo & John Glenn
No. 8--> Mother Jones & Heinrich Himmler
No. 9-->Maria Mitchell & Idi Amin
No. 10--> Ma Barker & Elizabeth Gaskell
No. 11--> Gaius (Caligula) & Rachel Carson
No. 12 --> Maximilien Robespierre & Artemisia Gentileschi
No. 13--> Nero & Phil Lesh
No. 14--> Joan d'Arc And Ivan The Terrible
No. 15---> Gertrude Stein & Richard M. Nixon
No. 16 --> Josef Stalin & Calamity Jane
No. 17--> Erzsebet Bathory, & Mother Theresa
No. 18--> Joni Mitchell & Maier Suchowljansky
No. 19--> Born in 1903--> Zora Neale Hurston & John Dillinger
No. 20--> Two More Catholics--> Keelin Curran & Pope Alexander VI
No. 21--> Chrissie Hynde & Bruno Hauptmann
No. 22---> Elvis Costello & Billy The Kid
No. 23--> Pol Pot & Anne Sexton
No. 24--> Billie Holiday & J. Edgar Hoover
No. 25--> Congresswoman Shirley Chisholm & Senator Joseph McCarthy
No. 26--> Born in 1893--> Anita Loos & Joachim von Ribbentrop
No. 27--> Edith Piaf & Hermann Goering
No. 28--> President George W. Bush & Andy Warhol
No. 29--> Phyllis Schlafly & Peter Jackson
No. 30--> Nina Simone & Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme
No. 31--> Morris Dees & Queen Mary I
No. 32--> John Lennon & Carrie Nation
No. 33--> Congresswoman Bella Abzug & Pope Urban VI
No. 34--> Mata Hari & Dr. William Carlos Williams
No. 35--> Doris Lessing & Typhoid Mary
No. 36--> David Duke & Virginia Woolf
No. 37--> Bob Weir & Albert Anastasia

No. 38--> Eleanor Roosevelt & Lee Harvey Oswald
No. 39--> William Shakespeare & Queen Ranavalona I
No. 40--> Larry Rivers & Lucrezia Borgia
No. 41--> Brent Mydland & Mohammed Reza Pahlavi
No. 42--> Mickey Hart & Sirimavo Bandaranaike
No. 43--> Ron McKernan a/k/a Pigpen & Harry Robbins ("H.R.") Haldeman
No. 44--> Mohammed & John Wayne Gacy
No. 45--> Two Guys With Hands on Chin--> Senator Robert F. Kennedy & Rabbi Meir Kahane
No. 46--> John Coltrane & Mao Zedong
No. 47--> Harriet Tubman & Marie Louise of Orléans
No. 48--> General William Tecumseh Sherman & Louis Armstrong
No. 49--> Mario Cuomo & Ann Coulter
No. 50--> Vlad Dracolya a/k/a Vlad The Impaler & Jesus Christ

---o0o---

2 comments:

El Snoozo said...

Jack, I'm thinking you'll need to start a second blog ( Heroes&Villans.blogspot.com? ) and post all digital art..You'll have you're writing and your art.

Plus I gotta see The Boss as a hero with maybe, Warren G.Harding as the villan.

-Tony

Jason Newkirk said...

It was a good run Jack and I second what Tony said about starting the heros&villians.blogspot.

I do enjoy your stories though so those will be fun to read.

~jason