Monday, August 27, 2007

Owen Wilson attempts suicide/our ever-present and none too welcome companion in life

In my life I've had two friends and a brother-in-law commit suicide. In the first quarter of my life, I worked on a suicide hotline and have since thought about the act itself a great deal. Judas, Hitler, Dan White, and a few others, I could understand. But most often I am shocked. I was stunned to hear that Owen Wilson attempted suicide this weekend. And I wish him and his family the best, and hope he is able to cure or salve whatever drove him to such a desperate act. Of course, he doesn't fit the profile we expect. He's on top of his career, and always seemed happy. Little do we know what lurks in his heart, or what demons Mr. Wilson was battling.

The National Enquirer reported details on the attempted suicide today. Yeah,. I know...the Enquirer. . .but this story appears real, no matter who first published it. The Enquirer and Star have this story exclusive for the time being, although it is naturally being reported all over the web and in the blogs.

The United Press also reported the story, although it is not clear what they used for corroboration (if anything).

A couple of poems on suicide have appeared on All This Is That:

Poem: You Rehearse Dying

poem: Not Past Tense Yet
Poem: The Absence of Footprints
Poem: Your Wooden Leg
Poem: The Bucket

---o0o---

No comments: