Friday, June 20, 2008

Istanbul: Arrival, recovery, and exploration


the "living room"
We have arrived and even slept, after a fairly brutal journey here. By the time we finally arrived at the Bereket apartments, we were ready to stop. We had been in the air and waiting around airports for about 24 hours. I unpacked and fell into bed rapidly. Even though it was 1 AM, the youth went exploring the neighborhood, and made friends over beer with some kids at a hostel. When I was in Morocco in the mid 80's, we had to seek out alcohol in the Jewish neighborhoods. And if anything, Turkey is even more Moslem. Well, more on that, anon. Even Keelin--normally the first to fall out--managed to stay awake a few hours (since she slept on the longest flight).

The facade of our apartment

A driver met us at the airport and took us to out apartment. They had a bowl of fruit, a jug of water, and a bottle of quite good red Turkish wine (a nice 2006 blend of Cab, merlot, and aligante) waiting for us.


entrance to our apartment

I sit here sipping some bad "3 in 1" Nescafe (sugar, instant coffee, powdered creamer, all in one "product," which reminds me of being in Greece when Nescafe ruled. I am listening to the twitter and chirping of birds (and one hungry cat) and delivery trucks as Istanbul begins to wake up. About two hours ago, I was awakened by the sound of a Muezzin calling people to prayers at the mosque. This is exciting, and I am having trouble not waking people yet. This is not normal on a family trip--I am always the one up until late, sleeping four hours past everyone else.

Our apartment is on a very narrow cobblestone street (and it's carless!). The apartments is extremely light, with some views of the Old City. Around the corner is the Konak Patisserie & Cafe which I am itching to try as soon as everyone wakes up!


view from the bedroom

Our apartment building, a five story walk-up was built in 1885 and has been (seismically too I hope) restored, with ten foot ceilings, fantastic ornate plasterwork cornices, well-worn hardwood floors, some brick walls, burnished old wooden window frames, rear-facing Romeo and Juliet balconies, nice bathrooms with big tubs, a washer, a serviceable kitchen, and satellite TV, a CD player, and (!!!) a high speed Internet connection, which is why I am writing to you at 6 in the morning.

More soon...after all, all I've done in Istanbul so far is drink coffee in my apartment and write to you, Friendos.
---o0o---

7 comments:

Dean Ericksen said...

Get crazy, Brummets. Keep the updates hourly.

Anonymous said...

This always sounded like an inspired destination and now, hearing your first impressions, it seems downright thrilling. Have a great time and I/We want to know more. Hey, how did you find such a sweet crib?

Anonymous said...

that 3 in 1 nescafe has sometimes frightened megan and i. stick to the tea, the supply is endless there. i'm happy you guys made it over there. also keep on the look out for boys dressed like princes, they've just been circumsised.
eric

Keekee Brummet said...

Thank you Eric--I will watch for the newly circumcised. I did see one at the Bazaar.

And I know what you mean about the 3 in 1! It was the same in Morocco...the tea was good, and ubiquitous. And yet I am a coffee junkie...not to the point where I'd hit a starbucks here (although I did in London mid-flight). I am also looking forward to the UFO museum you discovered--in Ephesus?

Keekee Brummet said...

Kev - We found the apt. I through Rick Stieves? Do you know him--a Seattle counterculture travel guy who writes books, has travel shows, etc? This is so much nicer than any hotel.ough hotels to last a lifetime after the last year and a half if biz travel... /johnnie

Brendan said...

Hey John,

How about a pre-Wolfie update for the family. We all depart on Sat. Tell us what is happening. I have read this week about increasing anti-Americanism there - what are you guys actually experiencing??

Brendan

Keekee Brummet said...

I don't know Brendan -- we've seen no Anti-American sentiment here.

Fact is there are very very few Americans here. We've seen only a handful. Most every Turk who has asked us where we were from seemed fine with America. We have seen nothing in the way of Anti-Americanism. I'm sure that would change if we went a few hundred miles east to Iran and Iraq! Any Anti-Americanism I've seen seems to be directed at our President...