Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Playground rhymes from my youth: Popeye the sailor man


I'm Popeye, the Sailor Man
I live in a Garbage Can.
I eat all the worms
And I spit out the Germs
I'm Popeye, the Sailor Man.

I'm Popeye, the Sailor Man
I live in a frying pan
I turn up the heat
And I burn up my feet

I'm Popeye, the Sailor Man
I live in a frying pan
I turn up the gas
And burn off my ass
I'm Popeye, the Sailor Man

I'm Popeye, the Sailor Man
I like me spinach and eggs
I like to go swimmin'
With bow-legged women
And swim between their legs!
---o0o---

3 comments:

El Snoozo said...

The best was the "dirty" Spider-Man that went around the school when I was a kid.

Although these Popeye ones still hold up today, and really should be passed on to the next generation.

Sad to think that Popeye might be one of those characters that might disappear from young minds in about 10-20 years, unless they make some crappy assed "Baby Popeye" TV series or something.

I wonder exactly how many "classic" characters would get a blank look from some kids these days.

Keekee Brummet said...

Man, Popeye's already almost gone.

Do you rememeber Jack Handy's Deep Thoughts from Saturday Night Live? One of the funniest ones he ever did was

"I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye."

El Snoozo said...

Tom Dougherty once told me about a comic, where one of the plot points was every strong hero through time had been gathered together..In the panel there was Hecules, Atlas,Beowulf etc...But he said that hidden way in the back the sartist actually put Popeye in there.

I really hope Jack Handy is right..I for one will do my part to make sure the "story of Popeye" continues. Along with Mighty Mouse, Speedy Gonzales, Betty Boop, Woody Woodpecker,and the REAL Looney Tunes!