Saturday, January 10, 2009

Some [fairly] new Seattle bands I like - The Moondoggies, Throw Me The Statue, Band of Horses, Fleet Foxes



Here are some new (to me) bands from Seattle I have been listening to in the new year (along with My Morning Jacket and Jamey Johnson).

The Moondoggies. A new Seattle band, who are playing at Neumo's next week. I can only find clips of them playing nearly a capella on the ferry. Here is a link to their myspace page, which has a few songs. The clip below gives a little taste. They are a serious roots band, with a touch of what a lot of people describe a mix of Grateful Dead, The Band, and The Byrds. Not a bad lineage!

[Ed's note: A late update by Jack Brummet:] I am updating this article the next night, and wanted to note that the more listen to this band, the more I love them. I am absolutely attending (Dave Hokit just offered me a ticket). If anyone wants to do a meet-up at or during a Pre-Func, let me know! With all due respect to Fleet Foxes/Throw Me The Statue/Band of Horses, all of whom I like very much, The Moondoggies just seem to transcend a lot of the ca-ca and you get the feeing listening to their songs that the band is much less trying to make a cohesive album than putting their feet down on the first leg of something that like it might just be An Incredible Journey.





Throw Me The Statue - a video of their tune Lolita:





The Fleet Foxes - A recent video on YouTube:





Band of Horses - We saw them in Memorial Stadium last summer, where they had no trouble managing a stadium, and what had to be their biggest crowd ever. This is a video of their tune The Great Salt Lake:




---o0o---

No comments: