Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Johnson Treatment: LBJ appoints Richard Russell to the Warren Commission before telling him

By Jack Brummet, President's Editor


President Johnson with Senator Russell


In November, 1963, LBJ appointed Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren to head what became known as The Warren Commission.  He also wanted to appoint his Senate mentor, Georgia's Richard Russell. Russell, however, was no fan of Warren and told President Johnson that he wouldn't serve alongside him.

LBJ's solution?  He just announced Russell's appointment to the press.  And then he called Senator Russell to let him know (transcript from November 28, 1963 at 8:55):



LBJ: Dick...it has already been announced and you can serve with anybody for the good of America and this is a question that has a good many more ramifications than on the surface and we've got to take this out of the arena where they're testifying that Khrushchev and Castro did this and did that and kicking us into a war that can kill 40 million Americans in an hour.

Russell: I have never...

LBJ: You're my man on that commission. And you're going to do it. And don't tell me what you can do and what you can't, because I can't arrest you and I'm not going to put the FBI on you, but you're goddammed sure going to serve. I'll tell you that.

Russell: Mr. President, you ought to have told me you was gonna name me.

LBJ: I told you. I told you today I was gonna name the chief justice when I called you.

Russell: You did not...

LBJ: I did...

Russell: You didn't tell me you was gonna name him...

LBJ: I told you I was gonna name Warren and you said it would be better to name Harlan.

Russell: Well you ought not to be so persuasive.

LBJ: Well, I think I ought to.

Russell: I think you did wrong getting Warren and I know damned well you did wrong in getting me. But we'll both do the best we can.

LBJ: No. I think that's what you'll do. That's the kind of American both of you are. Good night.
---o0o---

No comments: