Thursday, March 28, 2013

Full Moon Craziness

By Jack Brummet, Unexplained Phenomena Ed.



When I worked on the flying squad at a crisis clinic in the 70's, the Conventional Wisdom was that, on the night of a full moon, we could expect far more, and far crazier and desperate calls.  Tonight was a full moon, and I didn't really see anything untoward happening.  But I have also heard a greater number than normal of sirens in the distance. 

I never understood how the moon could possibly affect people's sanity or will to live. But I also never really grasped how something 239,000 miles away could affect us at all. I do remember, from my physics for poets (or dummies?) class in college that tides are created because the earth and the moon are attracted to each other like magnets. The moon tries to pull at anything on the Earth to bring it closer. And, the earth can hold onto everything except the ocean. I understand this (sort of), but probably need my science children Del and Claire to actually explain it in knucklehead terms.
---o0o---

No comments: