Saturday, April 06, 2013

Neil Young's biography, "Waging Heavy Peace"

By Jack Brummet, Music Ed.

I just finished Neil Young's autobiography.  Strange, idiosyncratic, amazingly heartfelt, prismatic, pained, hopeful, and passionate.   One thing that really struck me is how, despite everything he has accomplished, Buffalo Springfield (even as briefly as they lasted) was maybe the core music experience of his life, and an experience he wants to relive.  It always seemed like CSNY was a millstone around his neck (and God knows, they went through a lot of garbage) but he truly loves each one of those guys, and goes out of his way to show that.   I go back and forth on his book when I compare it to other rock autobios, but it is utterly fascinating, and not surprisingly, he breaks the mold.



 I like Buffalo Springfield too. But I'd rather Smell The Horse:




Or hear the fellas...

----o0o---

No comments: