Tuesday, July 12, 2005

White House Stonewalling Leak Questions

The White House is changing their story, and swinging from full discslosure about the leak of the CIA operatives's name. Yesterday, White House Spokesman Scott McClellan stonewalled all questions, backing off from his (and The President's) previous defense of Karl V. Rove. And backing off from POTUS's earlier statements to reporters, like this one he made on Sept. 30, 2003, to reporters at the University of Chicago [1].


Q. Do you think that the Justice Department can conduct an impartial investigation, considering the political ramifications of the C.I.A. leak, and why wouldn't a special counsel be better?

A. Yes. Let me just say something about leaks in Washington. There are too many leaks of classified information in Washington. There's leaks at the executive branch; there's leaks in the legislative branch. There's just too many leaks. And if there is a leak out of my administration, I want to know who it is. And if the person has violated law, the person will be taken care of.

And so I welcome the investigation. I - I'm absolutely confident that the Justice Department will do a very good job. There's a special division of career Justice Department officials who are tasked with doing this kind of work; they have done this kind of work before in Washington this year. I have told our administration, people in my administration to be fully cooperative.

I want to know the truth. If anybody has got any information inside our administration or outside our administration, it would be helpful if they came forward with the information so we can find out whether or not these allegations are true and get on about the business.

Q. Have you talked to Karl and do you have confidence in him …

A. Listen, I know of nobody - I don't know of anybody in my administration who leaked classified information. If somebody did leak classified information, I'd like to know it, and we'll take the appropriate action. And this investigation is a good thing.
[1] Source: Federal News Service

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bush owes his entire political career to Karl Rove.

Keekee Brummet said...

Yes, he does..even more than Pres. Clinton did to Carville (who also specialized in getting his boss out of james). It must be tough for GWB to face up to getting rid of the brains of the operation. In the NY Times this morning, someone speculated that they need to get rid of him physically--while still using him via back channels as the political architect of the administration...

Anonymous said...

Yes, you know he could be out of the building but still in charge. The man is a genius, in a nefarious sort of way ...