Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Growing Up & Having Grown-->True Tales from *All This Is That*

My cousin in law and friend, now spanning many decades (60s--00s), Kev, always hectors me to take the stories of my youth to the next level. . .especially the blue collar/hillbilly tales. He got me thinking about it. . .which may be the first step in actually doing it. I was inspired enough to go through the blog and see what I'd already accumulated. Here are the results:

The 50's

click to enlarge Johnnie Brummet, 1955


Fishing With The Old Man
Uncle Romey
Uncle Guy, more hillbilly cred, and living a good life
My Grandma's tavern in Carnation, Wash.
My Dog Slugger




_________________________________________________




The 60's

Hucking Eggs in Kent, Washington

Square Dance At Valley Elementary

Foot Washing Baptists & The Catholic Devils

Hillbilly Cred

Growing Up In Kent, Washington: Tarheels, Hayseeds, Hillbillies, and Crackers


__________________________________________________




The 70's

Cruising the Renton loop with a keg of nails

The Time I Got Drunk With Roy Rogers

My Worst Jobs: 50 Tons of Sand

My Worst Jobs: McGoo

My Pathetic Political Career

The Month They Tried To Kill Me

My Worst Jobs - Brewburger

__________________________________________________

The 80's

Stopping By Richard Nixon's

Defensive Daydreaming (the only poem in these links, but one of my personal favorites)

Click to enlarge Claire and Jack Brummet , 1986

__________________________________________________

The 90's




click to enlarge Colum and Del Brummet

My Worst Jobs - Design Insanity - Hype, Shuck, and Jive In The Dot-Com Years

My Worst Jobs - SALSA

Jerry Melin, still missing, still missed


__________________________________________________

The 00's



18,906 Days On Turtle Island

The Day I went Bald

My Jobs (List Number 9)

My Favorite Rock and Jazz Shows

More Shows I've seen over the years

---o0o---

3 comments:

Auntie Sassy said...

Ah! What a cute little baby Jack!

I'm going to pretend that I didn't see the hitchhiking picture...

Anonymous said...

Far better than a good beginning by my estimation. If the pieces average 750 per than there are 50+ pages of material here. I second the comment left by Al Arntsen "when you write about them all you feel is love". These pieces come to us as beckonings. More we want more. I also sense a larger story behind them that is being kept slightly in check. I hope that's not too ponderous an observation.

Keekee Brummet said...

Hey Hec! Thanks for the nice comments.

Yeah, you're right. . .much is in check, although not so much my backstory as later stuff. I won't/don't talk about my work. Or the daily grind. And, of course, we all have stories that we'd prefer not see published. Or stories we'd tell in one context, but not the other. Unfortunately the context I've chosen is wide open and available for all to see. Now if I was going to run for President--well, I've already shot myself in the foot on that one. . .years ago. But yeah, family members, friends, and co-workers and colleagues read this, so there is some attempt to reign in some of my natural impulses to shock and confabulate.

SO, yes, there is a larger story that is maybe being held in check, or maybe the overarching story has not yet emerged in my mind?

It's a great observation, Hector. And your name is one of my favorites, although I'd bet $10 that's not your given name!

/jack