Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Zappa Plays Zappa at Paramount Northwest

I went to see Dweezil Zappa's touring show and band tonight. I'd give it a mixed review. You have to remember, as always, that I suck as a music reviewer. For as much time as I spend going to shows, you'd think I could possibly sound literate, or knowledgeable, about music. And you would be wrong. That's why I keep these reviews brief.

There were some weird moments,
like the band playing along with a 70's video of Frank (where they stripped away all the multitracks except Zappa's voice and guitar). It was a little creepy (ala Natalie and Nat King Cole's "duets." Dweezil is an incredible guitarist, playing the same kind of speedy, mathematical style his father employed. He didn't play a lot of melodic material...a couple songs, maybe.

Zappa Plays Zappa is a mostly young band, augmented by the wonderfully charming showboating singer/guitar veteran Ray White (who has an amazing set of pipes). They played songs from the first album all the way to the end, but focused a lot on the late 70's/early 80's Ray White era music like Zappa in New York (including his intense vocal on The Illinois Enema Bandit), Tinsel Town Rebellion, and You Are What You Is. If I had a voice, I'd have chosen more the late 60's to mid-70's music.


They played a few older gems like Uncle Remus (one of my favorite songs of the night), Uncle Meat, San Bernardino, Pygmy in Twilight, and other classics.

It was a good show, and I might even go see them again. But, I have to admit, it didn't match the two times I saw Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention play at the very same theatre 30 some years ago (including one show where they played a set of Reuben and the Jets).
---o0o---

No comments: