Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The 9/11 Surfer urban legend? It actually happened. Meet Pasquale Buzzelli.

by Jack Brummet, NYC Editor



Eleven years ago today, Pasquale Buzzelli survived the attacks of Sept. 11 when he rode a wave of debris as he fell 20 stories inside the tumbling World Trade Center North Tower.
I remember hearing this story in the days after 9/11.  Everyone talked about it for a while, and then the news reports quits calling it hearsay and started reporting it as fiction.  And then it fell out of the news; everyone assumed it was an urban legend, or a hoax.
There is a documentary out now, featuring Buzzelli, his family, first responders and others.  And apparently, it actually did happen.  He has come forward to tell his story in a Discovery channel special, “The 9/11 Surfer."
He and his wife, Louise, have written an e-book, “The True Story of the 9/11 Surfer: We All Fall Down.’’
“It was very  difficult telling the story then,’ Buzzelli told Savannah Guthrie on The Today Show. “I couldn’t. I was going through post-traumatic stress and survivor guilt from that. It took a long time to heal from that. I forced myself to do that, to try to give something back. Eventually I came to accept what had happened to me. I was able to go on and mourn. I feel now that it’s an important story to share with others.’’


Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Copyright (C) 2012 by All This Is That. All This Is That contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We make these materials available to advance the understanding of political, economic, literary, artistic, and social issues. In some cases we satirize, parody, or lampoon materials from other sources. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of copyrighted material as provided for by section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit for research, educational, and entertainment purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', please read and follow our Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license and attribute the work to All This Is That, along with our URL (http://jackbrummet.blogspot.com). 
---o0o---

1 comment:

autiej said...

I really encourage everyone to check out Pasquale and Louise's book, WE ALL FALL DOWN. I have edited hundreds of books during my career, but this is the first one that ever brought a tear to my eye. Truly, it's a miraculous story about an extraordinary couple. www.911surfer.com, or visit Amazon.com for the ebook. I don't usually post things like this, but it truly is a beautiful book filled with emotion.