1. Never cut your hair or touch up your beard after three margaritas. Or call your boss. Fives.com says you should also not:
1) buy domain names
2) hire an attorney
3) do lots of file management from the command line
4) sort out your finances
5) telephone people you remember fondly from elementary school
2. Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. Mostly. Sometimes someone is so far gone that the tell radiates for blocks. But normally, the benefit of the doubt we give strangers carries the day. Even really wacky folks tend to hold back until "they get the job."
3. When you make a mistake, make amends immediately. It's easier to eat crow while it's still warm. Ask Richard Nixon.
4. Pick your battles wisely. Will this matter one year from now? One month? Tomorrow? Naw...
5. Never pass up an opportunity to pee. I learned this hard fact over the years, sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on the Evergreen Point Floating Bridge or going north on I-405.
6. If you woke up breathing, that is cause enough to celebrate.
7. Know your way home. Even if, and especially if, you're in a foreign country or a strange city. I don't really believe this rule. But I don't panic if I'm lost, either. I don't really believe in the concept of being lost. At any given time, some of us just have a better idea of where we actually are. And to some of us, it doesn't matter. . .we'll get there eventually.
8. You'll feel better if you throw up. That was certainly true in high school drinking days. It's still true. You never feel worse afterwards.
9. Everyone considers themself an above average driver, pretty good in bed, and "smarter than the average bear."
10. A tongue stud, green hair, a tattoo, or extreme facial metalwork is no excuse not to learn to do it right.
11 If someone tells you, "You're dreaming, pal!" kick them in the testicles. They said it's a dream.
12. If someone else enters a public bathroom, cough to let them know you are there. If not, you may have to listen to something neither of you intended.
13. The Sacred Buffer Corollary: When in a public bathroom, never take the urinal/stall directly adjacent to another user/jockey. When you are the first settler, never take the middle facility.