Thursday, November 18, 2004

Civil Unions v. Marriage

We know now from our last election, that whatever people tell the pollsters, they will vote against allowing marriages between gay and lesbian couples. They even got John Kerry to say he was against it. I have to admit, it baffles me why this is such a controversial topic. Especially since most of the people (at least the political ones) like The President, say they are for "civil unions." This seems like splitting hairs.

Since it now appears gay/lesbian marriage will never be approved either through a referendum or through legislation, we need to take it to the next branch, I guess. We need some lawsuits. that will end up having marriage declared unconsitutional because it is discriminatory.

This would hit some of the most rabid anti-gay/lesbian marriage folks right in the breadbasket. Among that population, marriage is required before you can--how can I put this delicately?--f***. If we cut off that avenue, then perhaps we could all come to agreement on this pointless fight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are a sick person. for someone so intelligent, you seem to have a blind spot about religtion ansd morals.

Keekee Brummet said...

Dear Anonymous: First, thanks for the compliment. Second, my suggestion, like much of what I write, was really meant light-heartedly...I don't really want to see marriage declared unconstitutional. That being said, I did make this suggestion from a moral center. I really do believe people should be free to choose their partners, and I really do believe they should be able to have ALL of the same rights as married people do. I have been married over 20 years to the same great woman; I believe in marriage. I have even performed/officiated at hour civil marriages.

There is room enough in the tent for everyone. If marriage is a good thing, it's a good thing for everyone.

Yours, Jack

Anonymous said...

I am a married man, and would hate to see my covenant mucked-up! Just because my neighbor wants to marry a goat or a badger doesn’t mean he should be able to! Same goes for the gays – it’s crazy and unnatural. I plan on redoubling the intensity of my prayer sessions until this matter is put into the constitution.