Friday, February 11, 2005

The Gates, 25 Years Later


click to enlarge

After all this time, Christo finally got his gates up in Central Park. The gates are hung with a gorgeous looking saffron-colored fabric. The amazing thing to me is that Christo wanted to do this while I still lived in NYC--he first proposed it in 1979! And now, he has succeeded, putting up something like $20 million he and his partner Jeanne-Claude raised. The gates will be up two weeks. My friend Kevin lives right near the park. I will see if I can get him to pass along a first hand report. Are they as cool as they seem, or after 25 years, is it just a snoozer? /jack
---o0o---

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jack, the gates are pretty cool. I prefer the views near the various meadows which are circled by the gates. Their look also change with the light/clouds etc.

Your former office mate.

Keekee Brummet said...

I am wondering which former office mate? Pete B.? My former office mates in NYC would not call me Jack. Is that you Pete--tell me more... /jack

Anonymous said...

Jack,

Nice catch. I've been in NYC for three and a half years now and it's been a hoot (leaving out a few months in 2001). I'm livin' large and have a rental apartment in the city and a place I own in the Catskills.

The Gates actually made me think of you for some reason. So you ever come back to The Big Apple?

So what's with the mug shot? Is that really what you're lookin' like these days? Or are you just incognito?

Pete
woodhull@aol.com

Keekee Brummet said...

I'm glad you checked back... I tried looking for you a few times on the net. Sounds cool...

I have other friends there still who do the same thing...apt. in the city, and a place on a few acres in Sullivan County, etc. So do you work? Things must be good, if you have a summer pad too. What are you doing?

I hardly ever come back to NYC, although I really want to over the next year.

The last place I lived there was 158 W 84th St, between Columbus and Amsterdam. Back then, it was wild and wooly.

I actually do look like that, but I don't wear the shades. It was the only pic. I had when I started the blog.

I definitely want to hear what you're up to... I am still in the game business, and life is good. /jack

Stephen Clarke-Willson, Ph.D. said...

I want to hear more about when you used to go to the SNL rehearsals.