Saturday, July 16, 2005

The Godfather Part III Chapter Titles: The Rest Of The Story


El Snoozo commented today that my Godfather chapter titles left out the third movie. It's true. When I first saw Godfather 3, I disliked it. Over the years, I have begrudgingly come to like it more and more. It is almost Shakespearean. . .more so than the other two films. It is a apt end to the saga and contains some of Al Pacino's best acting. Unlike many people, I also liked Andy Garcia. Joe Mantegna was good. Talia Shire is just right. George Hamilton is perfect in his role. Sofia Coppola, not so much. And I doubt if she would disagree either. Her direction is another story (I really like both of her films so far).

One problem is that these titles are neither so evocative nor slyly humorous as the previous ones. How can you ever top "how's the Italian food in this restaurant?" spoken by the crooked Lieutenant played by Sterling Hayden. . .moments before Michael Corleone assassinates him? Or "I'm Moe Green," or the chapter with the touching scene between Michael and the Don "I never wanted this for you"?

What about "You can have my answer now," to The Senator in Part II, or "I know it was you Fredo..."? "You can kill anyone," one of the last scenes in Part II, spoken by Michael as they try to find a way to assassinate Hyman Roth, who is in federal custody.

In Part III, Coppola lost all sense of humor or the DVD titling job was relegated to a studio functionary with no imagination all:

1. Michael's Letter
2. Party at Michael's Apartment
3. Anthony's Decision
4. The Trouble Between Vincent and Joey Zasa
5. Who Sent You?
6. The Archbishop asks for Michael's Help
7. Shareholder's Meeting
8. The Vatican Bank, Rome
9. Atlantic City Massacre
10. Just When I Thought I Was Out
11. Mary Visits Vincent at the Club
12. Street Fair
13. Michael at the Hospital
14. Returns to Sicicly
15. Michael Tells Vincent His Plan
16. Confession
17. Michael Shows Kay Sicily
18. Pope John Paul I
19. Give Me A Chance to Redeem Myself
20. Teatro Massimo
21. Cavalleria Rusticana
22. Revenge
23. Finale on the Steps
24. The Death of Michael Corleone
25. End Credits
---o0o---

No comments: