Tuesday, January 10, 2006

In praise of the reign of rain (with apologies to victims of S.A.D. - Seasonal Affective Disorder)





















Rain, rain, go away
Come again another day,
Little Johnny wants to play.

Rain, rain, go to Spain,
Never show your face again.

“The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain.” - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

A newcomer to Seattle arrives on a rainy day. He gets up the next day and it's raining. It also rains the day after that, and the day after that. He goes out to lunch and sees a young kid and asks out of despair, "Hey kid, does it ever stop raining around here?" The kid says, "How do I know? I'm only 6."


I am in a fairly small minority (of one?) on this. I have met several other NW natives who will reluctantly confess they like the rain too. After three weeks of rain, it feels cozy.

Rain imposes a certain rhythm on the world--the fantastic, incessant drumming and thrumming. Roostertails, mud puddles, downspouts funneling gallons of water a minute, the amazingly clean air, the glossy sheen varnishing the landscape, the muffled traffic and industrial sounds--I love everything about it. Rain reminds me of home, and family, of writing, listening to music, reading, and drawing. It feels like an old friend. They say in Seattle it's either a rain day or a drain day. At the moment we're trying to rain AND drain. The rain is winning. It's always there in the background, that wonderful, rhythmic drumming. It's a winter soundtrack.

You may have heard of the Alaskan tribes that have 400 words for snow? The Great Inuit Snow Hoax started in 1911 when anthropologist Franz Boaz mentioned that the Inuit—he called them "Eskimos," (the derogatory term for eaters of raw meat)—had four different words for snow. With each succeeding reference the number grew (or heh heh, snowballed), until it settled in at 400 words. The linguist Steve Pinker says they have no more words for snow that your average kid in Minnesota: "Counting generously, experts can come up with about a dozen." For rain, I only come up with a handful of synonyms in the northwest: showers, drizzles, sprinkles, flurries, precipitation, mist, precip, drencher, downpour.

It has rained every day in Seattle for the last three weeks. It is supposed to. And yet, transplants and locals alike complain about it every day. And we're not even close to the record (1953, when it rained 33 days straight).

The cumulative effect wears on people, and the land. My yard, which has already sprouted a small spring or two (e.g., the water table has nowhere to go but up). The yard is approaching 100% saturation. Walking across the lawn is like tiptoeing across a bowl of pudding, with the grass almost floating on top of a substrata of jiggling, barely solid mud. Even worse are the edges of the hills themselves. Seattle is largely a bunch of hills, separated by lakes, rivers, and canals. I live in the North Beach neighborhood of Ballard, on Crown Hill. Puget Sound is a ten minute walk down the hill. It is around the edges of these hills that things begin to liquify, slide, and tumble.

"We've reached a threshold for saturation."

Last week, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) issued an advisory that more rain could trigger slides in King, Snohomish and Pierce counties. "The gradual buildup of rain makes it hard to predict slides," said USGS spokeswoman Stephanie Hanna, "because the soil is so soaked that it takes only a little rain to prompt a slide." "We've reached a threshold for saturation," she said.

I don't want the hills to slide into the sea, but I could easily enjoy another month or two of this. Break out your wacky sun lamps, bumbershoots, and parkas. Trudge in for your seasonal affective disorder treatments. In a few short months, it will dry up nicely. And I will miss the rain.
---o0o---

5 comments:

WordzGuy said...

>For rain, I only come up with a handful of synonyms
>in the northwest:

One of the more amusing -- perhaps the only amusing -- part of the weather report is "rain turning to showers," a prognosis that suggests finesse in the definition of precipitation.

For many people, I suspect, the annoyance of continual rain (or showers) is two-fold. One is the relentlessness of it. There is no interruption during which it is practical to, say, vaccuum out the car or even take the dogs for a walk (better yet, to a park that isn't a swamp). You cannot stick your head out the door without that raindrops keep fallin' on your head. It gets old, very old. The other factor is light, as in, there isn't much. My porchlight, which is on a photocell, is on 24/7 these days. It might be technically true that the days are once again, thank god, getting longer. But you wouldn't know it here in Seattle, since the late-afternoon sun doesn't have much chance of punching through mile-thick rainclouds.

Could be worse, tho. :-)

Anonymous said...

RAIN, I didn't know rain, pardon if the PNW is getting an anomolous pounding this year, until I moved east to NYC. Yes, it's overcast 9 months of the year in the Emerald City and it can spritz every other day but I know that I never carried an umbrella while living in Seattle, Kent or B'ham. Of course I pinched pennies for beer money back then but I tried applying that kind of stinginess in NYawk when I first arrived in 1977 and was pasted worse than Stanley Laurel applying wall paper as I walked along Houston St between Greene and W. B'way (a couple of blocks). What an impression I made at work that day! The rain wicked up my trousers to my groin. Oh, and back then cab, bus, and truck drivers aimed roostertails at pedestrians at the curbs. It was a kind of sport. Even now I respond to thunderclaps or the first fat rain drop with the flight reflex. But back to Seattle rain though, I remember a near drought in the summer of 1974 that extended 30 some days. I was working for Data Enterprises of the NW and felt a kind of elation when the sky broke with rain again as I made my way to the bus for work.

Keekee Brummet said...

Oh yeah. I remember some of those NYC downpours too...and the very same wicking effect you mention, stumbling into work completely soaked, after staggering through streets with eight inches of standing water. This year, here, we have had a couple of those NYC style drenchers, but mostly it is slow and steady just like you remember...

Stephen Clarke-Willson, Ph.D. said...

Lewis Black has a joke:

"In Seattle, they have a saying. If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes, and then get a gun and shoot yourself in the face."

Keekee Brummet said...

That's about right Doc!

I'm just one of those people that never get depressed by the rain and the dark.

But I will admit to sneaking off to Mexico or Florida in February...