Thursday, May 18, 2006

35 albums I can usually count on

Thirty-five albums I can count on. . .they may not be all my favorites, or even at the top of my best of list, but they are the Rock of Gibraltor.


Special Beat Service - The English Beat
The Sermon - Jimmy Smith
Dear 23 - The Posies
Old and in the way - Old and in the way
This Year's Model - Elvis Costello & The Attractions
Imperial Bedroom - Elvis Costello & The Attractions
Help - The Beatles
Louis Armstrong and the Hot Fives and Sevens
Abbey Road - The Beatles
Will The Circle Be Unbroken - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (and many others)
O Brother Where Art Thou - Various Artists'
My Four hundred hours of Radio shows by Jean Shepherd
Talking Heads '77 - Talking Heads
Roxy and Elsewhere - Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
Revolver - The Beatles
Everybody's In Show Biz - The Kinks
Weld - Neil Young
Milestones - Miles Davis
A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
How Many More Years Have I Got - Lightnin' Hopkins
The Koln Concert - Keith Jarrett
Tonight's The Night - Neil Young
Hank Williams - 40 Greatest Hits
Crosby Stills and Nash - Crosby Stills and Nash
Forest Flower - Charles Lloyd
Amazing Disgrace - The Posies
Blonde on Blonde - Bob Dylan
Blood on the tracks - Bob Dylan
American Beauty - The Grateful Dead
Europe '72 - The Grateful Dead
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
The Tiffany Transcriptions - Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys
Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys
Today - The Beach Boys

---o0o---

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great list but how long would it have to grow to include the greatest rock band of all time? That said, Love SPS, great record not listened to enough.

Keekee Brummet said...

You've got me! And the greatest rock band of all timw. . .would be?

I can't believe you're thinking the stones, or doors, or nirvana, or weezer, or someone really obscure??????????????

Anonymous said...

BAD's old band, baby.

Anonymous said...

I shouldn't be coy and I just noticed your "rock of gibraltor" disclaimer. While I am surprised that Nirvana doens't hit all of your favorable lists yep they would hit most of mine too, but it is not the boys in plaid, nor the lizard king, not weezer nor the ggezers. It's always a white riot with the clash city rockers, baby, c'mon on now.

Anonymous said...

OOOPS, SPS, I meant Special Beat Svc, great record still rotating my head, and not listened to enough.

Keekee Brummet said...

OK. I would put the clash on this list, but I was never knocked out by one album in particular. I left a lot of people I really like out because there wasn't one specific album I could name (like...the doors...every album has at least three great songs; but not 13...or The Band, or Most of the motown groups...it was no knockout album. And yeah, I should have put Nirvana on the list, specifically for In Utero, my favorite by them.

Anonymous said...

You don't include Doors records cuz none of them includes more than 3 great songs. I don't disagree, but how many great songs do you find on REVOLVER, its a good record but????? I agree with that Nodaddy guy, The clash is great and London Calling has at least 7 and maybe even 8 great songs. I don't want to pick a fight, Allthis, but I am interested.

Keekee Brummet said...

Sr. Mescaleor said and Nobodaddy. . .yeah, I listened to London Calling this morning.

You're both right! I stand accused! /jack

Anonymous said...

So you changed your list?? Is it 36 now or 37? If it's still 35 who comes off? Hey man the clash hs got to stay: From a squat to Shea in about 6 years. Keep listening!! Love your website. Visit mine: www.dontlooktous.com

Keekee Brummet said...

Yeah, I guess that makes it 37. . .but that's the problem with these lists. Every day I'll think of another one. I just realized I don't have one Stevie Wonder album.

Or Mingus. Or The Beau Hunks. Or Sun Ra. And on and on...

--dogbowl-- said...

If you are including greatest hits, just add The Clash on Broadway, and you'll be safe!

Anonymous said...

and no Steely Dan?

Keekee Brummet said...

No Steely Dan - for me, they fit into that 3 song per disk rule--and remember, this was originally a list of my comfort songs, not necessarily the greatest. The thing with the Dan was that every single album, had at least a couple of songs I found genuinely irritating. . .which in itself would have disqualified the album)...

Anonymous said...

What about the Ramones??? The clash ripped off the Ramones. So if the Clash belongs so do the Ramones.

And Steely Dan is a bunch of sissies playin fake jazz.

Keekee Brummet said...

Yeah, I left off The Ramones too. I always thought The Clash did a different thing than the Ramones. I thought both were good. I saw The Ramones probably five or 6 times at CBGB and the 2nd avenue theatre. They were good to see. Mostly.

Steely Dan - they came out of the gate on fire, I thought. They did some great songs. The first album was a real breath of fresh air (Kings...Reelin'...Brooklyn...Turn that heartbeat over again). They did tunes like My Old School, Boston Rag, Razor Boy, Bad Sneakers, Haitian Divorce, Dr. Wu, Kid CHarlemagne, Don't take me alive...

But a lot of people came out the gate on fire and ended up weak (e.g., Rod Stewart, Paul Simon solo, Steve Miller, Nils Lofgren, John Sebastian,

But yeah, they got self-important and then irrelevant, although on every album, they at least could knock one out of the park (Gaucho is a good example).

What everyone should get is that if I wrote that list Wednesday, it's different now. . .it was a snapshot in time.

Anonymous said...

So is the list longer now? Has it totally changed. Why isn't Buddy Holly on it? I love that guy!! Did you see that movie with Gary Busey, god he has gotten strange lately. Did he have a head injury once?