Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Mars Hill Church in Seattle, Wash.

A church down the road from my house in Seattle's Ballard neighborhood was written up today in Salon. I don't know how many people belong to the church, but it is huge. This is a fascinating article about a fascinating phenomenon. We'd all wondered about this church where you see hundreds of people streaming in every day, carrying bibles (shades of my Baptist days), wearing jeans, beards, and granny dresses.

"Father's Day and Mark Driscoll is blessing babies. A stocky, square-headed figure in a black shirt and jeans, with a leather cord around his thick neck, Driscoll stands against a backdrop of a giant brushed steel cross and a phalanx of electric guitars, praying over the "lovely wives and godly husbands" lined up on the stage of Mars Hill Church. Located in a former warehouse in Seattle's hip Ballard neighborhood, where drive-through espresso joints out-number churches ten to one, Driscoll's megachurch is a sprawling industrial space of corrugated steel, painted charcoal and muted taupe. "

To read Lauren Sandler's story in Salon, click here.
---o0o---

5 comments:

Geek Girl Beck said...

Cool article. Scary people. I'm stealing it for my blog. :P

Anonymous said...

Bad article. The inaccuracies are what make us seem scary.

Keekee Brummet said...

I see y'all outside the church all the time. . .you're not scary.

You mean Salon is sometimes not accurate (at least their Seattle stringer)? Or did you mean my story, which only included facts I've seen with my own eyes...? /jb

Anonymous said...

I meant the salon story. It makes a moderate church look a lot more right wing and extreme than it is.

Keekee Brummet said...

Well, that may be true. But I think your church is proudly fundamental. . .but not to the extreme? I don't see Mars Hill advocating firebombing a Planned Parenthood clinic, or anything like that.

I tend to think of y'all as sort of like Mormons, but with cooler clothes and hair, and without the golden tablets, other planets, and extra wives! But, let me say again, not scary.