Saturday, December 02, 2006

The Beatles "New" Album, Love, Is A Revelation


I have been listening to The Beatles "new" album, Love, almost non-stop the last four days. At least seven of the remixes are brilliant. A couple--maybe--are duds. The rest are just wonderful. If you've listened to this music for the last forty years like I have, you are struck by the shimmering fidelity of the new mixes.

My favorites are Octopus's Garden, a Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing medley/remix, the brilliant acoustic and strings version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and the amazing backwards version of Sun King--Gnik Nus--which sounds like a Beatles song, but one you'd never heard. I couldn't even tell what they had actually done in the remix of All You Need Is Love, but I heard it like I never had before. I'd always dismissed the tune as hippy-dippy pop psychology. It's a brilliant lyric and a sensitive performance by John Lennon (just as he was getting into heavy vocal processing and screaming). It's a great song, after all.

Buy this record! It's only $10 at Amazon right now. Or better yet, spend a few bucks more and buy it from your local indie music shop.

Beatles albums on CDs never sounded like this. There is gold in those multitracks, and they cry out to be remastered. In one way I hope they never do it, because I really don't want to replace my complete Beatles collection. In the meantime, we have these new versions by George Martin and his son Giles.

Track listing:

1. Because
2. Get Back
3. Glass Onion
4. Eleanor Rigby/Julia (Transition)
5. I Am The Walrus
6. I Want To Hold Your Hand
7. Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing
8. Gnik Nus
9. Something/Blue Jay Way (Transition)
10. Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite!/I Want You (She's So Heavy)/Helter Skelter
11. Help!
12. Blackbird/Yesterday
13. Strawberry Fields Forever
14. Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows
15. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
16. Octopus's Garden
17. Lady Madonna
18. Here Comes The Sun/The Inner Light (Transition)
19. Come Together/Dear Prudence/Cry Baby Cry (Transition)
20. Revolution
21. Back In The U.S.S.R.
22. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
23. A Day In The Life
24. Hey Jude
25. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
26. All You Need Is Love
---o0o---

No comments: