Thursday, February 08, 2007

The New York Times May No Longer Be Actually Printed In Five Years



This echoes Michael Corleone telling Kay "The Corleone family will be entirely legitimate in five years." But I think the New York Times may keep its promise. Arthur Sulzberger, a very rich dude, owner, chairman and publisher of the most respected newspaper in the world, is in the middle of a transition from print to internet. He may be thrown out of the wagon before it gets there, however. Morgan Stanley, his banker, recently seems to have launched a campaign that will cost Sulzberger control of the paper.

"I really don't know whether we'll be printing the Times in five years, and you know what? I don't care either," said Arthur Sulzberger.

Read the story by Eytan Avriel on haaretz.com here. This is a shocker. The New York Times is a great 'paper, and it hurts to think of the day when I can't carry it along with me. We have subscribed every since we moved from NYC 25 years ago. It's hard to picture the day when we are cut off. Sure, we'll still be able to print it all out on 8 1/2 x 11" paper. But that is not the same. On the other hand, when is the last time you saw anyone under, say, thirty holding a newspaper?
---o0o---

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hmmm well when was the last time you hung out with a lot of under thirty year olds...butt head. i read the new york times on the regular and try to buy a copy most sundays up here in victoria. check yourself.

love,

moochie

Keekee Brummet said...

Well, pardon me Moochles! But, I do spend a lot of time with under-thirties (note: work, and my children--amongst which you are numbered). And I've never seen one of them packing a 'paper. Now, I know a lot of smart ones, including you, and a lot of well-read ones, but the place they read the NYT is on line...usually. Love, Poppa