Friday, June 15, 2007

Gray's Papaya on the Upper West Side


click to enlarge

Gray's started just about the time I landed in NYC, in 1977. This is the place for good hot dogs, and fruit juice. Del and I ate there twice this trip, both times having the special (2 hot dogs with onions and kraut and a glass of papaya drink - $3.50). I was very glad to see it has survived the years. If you are a fan of dogs, Gray's is the place. The hot dogs have a nice natural casing snap and come hot off the grill onto a perfectly toasted bun, with sauerkraut and chili onions, or with just mustard if you don't like them NY style. The papaya juice is a perfect foil for the hot dogs. Gray's is on the corner of Broadway and 72nd Street, and they have a store in the West Village too. . .
---o0o---

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't think it crass that I use your Gray's Papaya review to comment on Joey Chestnut toppling the 6 year reigning HDB champ Kobayashi at Nathan's Coney Island July 4th eat off. My god, he ate 66 in 12 minutes yikes. I can only watch about 15 seconds of this spectacle but I almost fell over with at the sports term of art for a certain type of disqualification the "reversal of fortune".

Keekee Brummet said...

It's funny you mention that Kev--I just hearsd this news a couple of days ago. When I heard about his reversal of fortune, I just about had one myself.

If it daunting to even think about this reversal, where about 60 half chewed nathan's dogs make the return trip up the gullet!

The guy on the radio mentioned that the only way to beat such a reversal was to stuff it all back in! Yikes.

jack