Saturday, June 23, 2007

A Painting Of A Moroccan Dance Scene (artist unknown)


click the painting to enlarge

This massive painting (I'd guess it is about 10 feet by five feet) hangs in a stairwell in my parent-in-laws 1904 mansion. It is a painterly rendition of a "casbah" scene. I've always loved the drapery and the pastel palette. If I am lucky I can buy or glom onto this painting when they sell the house--despite the fact it is too large to hang in anything approaching a normal house. I never saw a scene like this when I was in Morocco...the women in Morocco aren't nearly so pale, and I certainly never saw any of the women dancing. When you saw the women at all. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

woah woah woah- I thought I dibsed that peice of art. Whatever. We'll just have to battle to the death in a few years.

Keekee Brummet said...

OK, Mel, maybe we can acquire it jointly and trade custody over the years. . .

Uncle Jack