Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Guy Brummet's Road trip/Or Growing up hillbilly, part 14

This is a verbatim transcript of an email from my brother Guy. The trip he describes happened last week.

"One of our more interesting vacations, if you like to spend lots of money.

"We started out leaving Friday at 2:30 after work, but both passes were closed, so rather than driving through Portland to get to Montana, I suggested going over White Pass, which worked okay, until my brother in-law, Harold blew his transmission ($4,000 to repair), so we called back home and had someone bring another truck and they would pick up the trailer on the top of the pass [ed's note: you have to love that back home they have all this spare rolling stock to deploy].

"Well that seemed like a good thing, but, I took my trailer to the top of the pass, unhooked it, and went to retrieve the trailer a couple of miles back to get it off the road. My brother in-law hooked it up (well he thought he did) then he noticed the lights went off on the trailer as I was towing it up the pass, well the light didn’t just go off the hole damn trailer broke away, broke the safety chains and went across a lane of traffic! Well luckily it ran into the bank, oh yeah, then I seen it going backwards down the pass so I drove my new truck backwards past it down the pass, got in front of it and just before I had to let it ram me, the trailer safety brake decided to work and it stopped about three feet in front of my truck.

My wife would have killed me if she seen me drive the truck and use it for a sacrifice, but I didn’t want to see the trailer go down the hill either.

"Well we realized he did a crappy job of hooking it up, I just got it re-connected and moving when a cop pulls up, I didn’t stop to chat, but my Harold told him I lost control but recovered. He was still waiting for me to tow his truck up to the top. 9:00 PM rolls around and we are finely on our way again, while Harold waits for a tow truck and the back up truck to arrive, 4 hours later the tow truck arrives and he spends the night in Yakima, and we arrive in Spokane at 3:00 AM.

"I guess this is a bit long, so here is a brief description of the rest, blew up one more truck engine in Montana on the way home, blew up two snowmobiles in Montana, but we brought two spares:>) got so much snow the last two day we couldn’t go anywhere, and the area we rode in had a broken groomer, so the trails were not very good. We did have a good time in the hot springs at out Lolo resort, but all that was, was a heated swim pool, they claim a hot spring heats the water. Of course the mountain passes were all closed coming home, so we sat in my truck on the pass until midnight when they reopened Snoqualmie, so we got back home Sunday at 2:00AM.

I must admit I am glad to be at work!
---o0o---

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"finely" on their way, indeed.