Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Contra: Presidents I have voted against

I have had the distinct pleasure of voting against a large number of Republican Presidential candidates over these last years. I am leaving off the names of those I did vote for. . .they were all Democrats, and frequently I had to hold my nose as I pulled the lever, and later filled in the bubble or poked out the chad on the punchcard.

In retrospect, I was right. Even the weakest candidates we Democrats mounted would have made a better President than the hacks, lapdogs of big business, wardheelers, and feebs we ended up electing. Here's the list of who I have voted against since I reached the age of majority.



When I was 19, I got to vote against Richard M. Nixon (a man I would later come to greatly admire, but would never have voted for in any office higher than dog-catcher). I got to vote in this election because 18, 19, and 20 year olds were granted suffrage by the 26th Amendment to The Constitution, which passed in July 1971.



When I was 23, I had the distinct pleasure of voting against Dick Nixon's successor, Gerald R. Ford, a man I also liked, but couldn't stomach as President. He was a good guy and a weak President. He was President a little over two years.




At 27, I was able to vote against Ronald Reagan for the first time. When I was 31, I got to vote against him one more time.



At 35 years of age, I got to vote against Ronald Reagan's successor George H.W. Bush.

When I hit 39, I was lucky enough to vote against President George H. W. Bush again.



At the ripe old age of 43, I most enjoyed casting my ballot against Senator Bob Dole.


When I was 47 years old, I happily cast my ballot against George W. Bush.

When I turned 51 years old, I was able to vote against W. one more time.



And now, in one week, as I enter the voting booth for the very last time (Washington State will be shifting to mail-in ballots in the near future), at 55 years of age, I will most happily cast my vote against Senator John McCain, a man I sometimes admired a few years ago.

Is this a great country...or what?
---o0o---

No comments: