Saturday, September 26, 2009

The English Beat return to Seattle October 3

Ranking Roger, one of the founders of the two-tone ska movement and The English Beat are returning to Seattle for a show at the Showbox on October 3rd. I'll be there. I've seen them in both Austin and Seattle. The show at Antone's was one of the best shows I've ever seen. The one at the Showbox in Seattle was pretty damned good.

The Beat became the English Beat. Ranking Roger (the lead singer and writer) and Dave Wakeling also went on to form General Public, who were lesser in my booklet, but had greater success. Other members of the original The Beat went on to form Fine Young Cannibals, a blue eyed soul band that had huge success both stateside and back in the motherland. The Specials, The Clash, and other bands all contributed members to the various configurations of the band that still exist today. For me, it's Ranking Roger's songs and voice that were the soul of many of these bands. He is a charmer and still has vocal and guitar chops.

Come on out and let's skank at The Showbox! Here is a grainy (and oddly prefaced) video of one of my favorite tunes by The Beat. Following that, is a video of one of their other great songs, Save It For later.

Come out next weekend! I guarantee you'll be bouncing on the dance floor.




---o0o---

No comments: