Tuesday, September 01, 2009

The Trees of Ballard

Tonight, I went for a walk in our neighborhood, meandering through the streets on the way to the promenade/lookout:



And I started keeping track of the trees. . .in 25 blocks or so, I saw:



Bamboo
Alder
Douglas Fir
Horse Chestnut
Oregon White Oak (I think!)
Monkey Tree (aka Araucaria - they have leaves that are brutally sharp)
Western Red Cedar
Crab Apple (Pacific?)
Ponderosa Pine (aka Western Yellow Pine)
Yew
Juniper
Apple
Willow
Red Maple
Cherry
Elm
A couple scruffy palm trees
Dogwood
Ash
Holly
Red Alder

And I saw at least ten trees which I do not know--mainly deciduous...I have the evergreens nailed. Who knows what I would have seen if they hadn't clear-cut Seattle 100 years ago? Probably a forest of fir and alder?
---o0o---

No comments: