Friday, December 11, 2009

The Obama Peace Prize Imbroglio



By Pablo Fanque
All This Is That National Affairs Editor


After listening to The President justify a two-front war in his speech accepting the Nobel Peace Prize yesterday, I've heard everything. I like Barack Obama, mostly. I even voted for him. But all I can think after that speech is:

a) Martin Luther King, Jr., Mother Theresa, Albert Schweitzer and the other laureates must be rolling in their graves;
b) "OK, you've won the peace prize. Now go out and earn it!"; and
c) war is not the only road to peace.
---o0o---

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a tough call. How moral would it be just to cut loose and let the guys with the black turbans take over again? Hands chopped off and women being stoned to death for being in the company of the 'wrong' man?

Pete

Cathie Joy Young said...

a) I thought it was a good speech and I have to agree with Obama about conflicting truths.
b) I was shocked when he was given the Nobel Peace Prize but I think he made the best of a very bizarre situation he did not ask for.
c) I want us out of Afghanistan also. I think only Kucinich and/or Gravel would have accomplished that task. They were both on my list of rather haves for President. But not having the option I campaigned for Barrack Obama and I believe in him and I still have hope that he will accomplish some good, and noble deeds.

Keekee Brummet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keekee Brummet said...

In some ways, I agree. I filed for conscientious objector status in 1971, at the height of the Vietnam War and the draft, and draft lottery. But there was always one thing that left my petition shaky. I could never justify appeasement with the Nazis.

We did absolutely the right thing in going to war against Adolph Hitler, Mussolini, and Hirohito. And that basically negated any claims I had of being a CO. I feel conflicted much the same way now, but yet still feel this is not right.

Let's face it...Yassir Arafar won the peace prize too, as have prime ministers of Israel, and other architects of war. And on the whole, I still think that sucks.

limo hire said...

The Noble speech was awesome i really like it.