Monday, March 22, 2010

Claire Brummet and Colin Whitchelo, fodder for the papparazzi?


Keelin also starred in numerous photos--click to enlarge


It may be because western tourists are in very short supply right now, this being the hot season (we were almost the only westerners in somewhat obscure Aurangabad...but now, reaching Udaipur, there are a lot of Germans). Or maybe it's because Claire and Colin are lovable and photogenic (which they are). But when we visited the Ellora Caves, every one wanted a picture taken with Claire and Colin. Colin thinks they posed for around fifty pictures that day.


Even a geezer like me was approached by many Indians and posed for photos; they wanted to say hello. At least five or six asked for my email address. All the college students I talked to at our fort visit wanted to know about life in the USA, and what we thought of India ("I LOVE it" I told them). They would, to a person, tell us 16 days was not nearly long enough to see such a wide and diverse and historic country--"you need to visit at least six months!" And they're probably right. Fortunately, my daughter Claire and BF Colin Whitchelo will be here a couple of months--they like that very much. I know for sure, like Arnold said, "I'll be back." (Note: when they ask where I'm from, the one thing that seems to register is if I tell them north of California, and south of Alaska).


I am blown away by the kindness and warmth (and awesome head bobbing!) of the Indian people--all of them...in traditional dress, in western dress, of whatever caste or religion. It helps of course, that far more of them speak English than in any country in which I've traveled. We can actually talk and connect. I don't know if it is their deep faith, or the tolerance they've developed amongst their many religions, but when you spend a little time with the people, it's not surprising what a hotbed of religion this is, or why Buddhism, Hinduism, and all the other hundreds of religions germinated and flourished here. You know, as Sarah Palin said "that hopey changey stuff"--like, say, Gandhi!


Maybe Claire and Colin remind them of someone else?




---o0o--

No comments: