Thursday, October 13, 2011

The sculpture garden at the Museum of Modern Art

By Jack Brummet, Visual Arts Editor


On my last day in New York, I finally got to the Museum of Modern Art.  I never miss a visit to MOMA.  I was especially eager to see the huge Willem de Kooning retrospective, and it did not disappoint.  The number of canvases and drawings was just astounding--from early students drawings and paintings to works he created in old age.  I was especially knocked out by his 50's post "Women Series" paintings, where he took his abstraction to a new level.  Those paintings are just gorgeous and kinetic.


Since it was such a warm day, I spent my last half hour in the sculpture garden.


Aristide Maillol. The River.

 
One of my favorite Joan Miro sculptures - Moonbird

Pablo Picasso's She Goat

 Auguste Rodin (you know, The Thinker guy) - Monument to Balzac

Alberto Giacometti - Standing Woman

Max Ernst  - The King Playing with the Queen

Katharina Fritsch. Figurengruppe (Group of Figures). I think this
is new--at any rate I didn't remember it.

Henry Moore - Family Group

Yoko Ono's Wish Tree (with contributions by many others)

Auguste Rodin again - Saint John the Baptist Preaching
---o0o---

No comments: