Sunday, November 06, 2011

Philip Levine on BHO, and The Presidency

By Jack Brummet, Poetry Editor


I've always liked Philip Levine's poetry, and his politics.  At 83, he is our new Poet Laureate.  This morning in the New York Times Magazine, he weighed in on President Obama, and who we probably need as President right now.  His answer was stunning (all the more so, because I think he's right, and I've mentioned the same fellow before here).


You’ve said you always vote for “the impossible losing candidate” that the Democrats put up. Your team actually won last time. What do you think so far?

Philip Levine:  Well, we think we won.
You think Obama’s a Manchurian Candidate?

Philip Levine:  No. I don’t. But I think I voted for a man who is not as able and confident as I thought. When he campaigned, he seemed like a genius, but I think he may not have been up to the task. It’s foolish to say this, but the guy we need right now is Lyndon Johnson. We need a bully and a really shrewd manipulator.
---o0o---

No comments: