Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Billy's Gym in Bucerias

By Jack Brummet, Mexico Travel Editor

After a couple days of slacking (but still walking many miles a day around town), I joined Billy's Gym in Bucerias (two weeks=200 pesos, or $16 American).  It is totally a lifter's gym, but they have some decrepit treadmills and stationary bikes, which is what I want.  What was most interesting about the place was the statue out front.   It is based on--at least this is what Billy told me--a Spanish artist who paints various celebrities in gordo versions (I've seen reproductions here of his Elvis, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Kiss, and other people).  Anyhow, this is obviously his, or his local imitator, version of the Marilyn Monroe Times Square shot.  It was originally commissioned by a now defunct rock club upstairs from Billy's.  When they folded up their tents, they left the statue.  I'm glad they did. 

Keelin spends a lot of time in the surf swimming, but I am finding it hard to swim seriously with the breakers constantly rolling in.  And besides, on the bike at the gym, I get to listen to music and TBTL.  Then, when I swim, I can just body surf and get tossed around in the waves without sweating whether or not it's cardio-effective...




---o0o---

No comments: