Wednesday, May 09, 2012

BHO on gay marriage: It's not flip-flopping, weaseling, or pandering

By Pablo Fanque, National Affairs Editor









As I have written many times, it's not weaseling, flip-flopping, or pandering as your thinking evolves and you change your position on an issue.  I think BHO coming out in favor of gay marriage is a very brave thing to do. I'm not quite sure if it was the smartest thing to do politically, but it may be.  This could be the nationally galvanizing moment for that issue.  On the other hand, I don't believe that any of the "defense of marriage laws" that have come up for a vote of the people have been voted down (which now leads us to North Carolina, where it's OK to marry your cousin, as long as it's not a same sex cuz).

“I was reminded that it is my obligation not only as an elected official in a pluralistic society, but also as a Christian, to remain open to the possibility that my unwillingness to support gay marriage is misguided,” wrote Senator Barack Obama in his his 2006 book, “The Audacity of Hope.
---o0o---

1 comment: