Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Arrived in Beijing... #fb

Wow. Beijing. My greeter met me at the gate and she steered me through a totally hassle free and painless customs and immigration gauntlet and then plunked me in an Audi limousine for the 15 minute ride to my glossy hotel.

Sitting in a German bar having a house brewed Pilsner before I go to bed. I successfully slept only a couple hours on the flight--which only took 10 hours due to an awesome tailwind. So i should actually be able to sleep. Everyone I've met speaks English at about the same level I speak Spanish--barely passable and comically inept, just enough to barely communicate. So, there is a definite level of comedy in all my transactions so far. It's midnight and I'm outside on a plaza. Now, it's off to bed and see what tomorrow holds. Should be interesting and strange. I've wanted to be here all my life: this is great. Your first night in a foreign country is Always a little jangled and surreal--not quite so surreal as Istanbul or Bombay or Tangiers due to the modernity and gloss. And I love it. More soon. I'm about ready to fall asleep. Jack

No comments: