Friday, July 15, 2005

Chief Justice Rehnquist Says He'll Stay On SCOTUS

Bursting the media bubble, and stilling all the hot air coming from the blogs and web sites, including All This Is That, Chief Justice Rehnquist announced last night that he is not going anywhere!

Jul 14, 9:21 PM (ET)
By RON FOURNIER and GINA HOLLAND

WASHINGTON (AP) - Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, denying rumors of his retirement, said Thursday he will continue heading the court as long his health permits. "I'm not about to announce my retirement," he said in a statement obtained by The Associated Press.

"I want to put to rest the speculation and unfounded rumors of my imminent retirement," said Rehnquist, 80, and ailing with thyroid cancer. "I am not about to announce my retirement. I will continue to perform my duties as chief justice as long as my health permits."

Rehnquist released the statement hours after being released from an Arlington, Va., hospital after being treated for two days with a fever. [click on the title to link up with My Way and the full Associated Press story].

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's really hard to know if it is better he stays or better if he goes. At least he's not an idiot. Let's face it, Jack, wasn't the only appointment in the three Bush terms so far (now about 10 yeats) Clarence Thomas?