Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Word Verification On Blogs

In the last week, All This Is That has been getting hammered by spam in the comments. The only real fix for this is to turn on "word verification." This means that when you make a comment you will be required to type in a word you see on screen--this word is a bitmap, and not readable by bots and other automated spamming. This means that (for now!) it takes a human being to read the word and pass this step. Sorry for the inconvenience, but the spam is ridiculous. . .

See below for an example of a couple of spams deposited here today, and the fix...the word verification box. /jack


click to enlarge image
---o0o---

3 comments:

Az said...

Hello,
I think I saw something in the news column area of the blogger editing page about a utility offered by blogger to stop the spam comments. It's a secured page, and my link is unique as yours will be, but it's worth a quick look. Of course, word verification works too.

Az said...

Duhhhhh......sorry. That WAS the solution they offered. Shoulda checked before I commented. Oh well...at least it wasn't friggin' spam.
Az

Auntie Sassy said...

The only part of the word verification thing is that most of the time, I can't read the GD phrase. Luckily for tards like me, they just make you type a different word. *whew*
Once they sent me a penis enlargement spam. I'm not into that comment spammers!