Friday, July 11, 2008

My poetry reading in Heraklion, Crete

I am literally falling asleep as I try to write this, so will wrap it up tomorrow. We stumbled into a Greek poetry bookstore today. After some incredible name drops on both sides of people we mutually loved, the owner looked up some of my poetry and then hauled out a bottle of wine, and wanted to talk poetry.

After a glass of wine, he handed me two books of translations of Kazanstakis and Odysseus Elytis. He wanted me to read two long poems in English aloud and we both had a great time hearing them in English. One was the prologue to Kaz's Sequel to the Odyssey. I was very moved by the event, and it was a real highlight of the trip so far. What a great, random find and event. I have now had my first European poetry reading, and made a friend in the poetry world of Greece.
---o0o---

No comments: